Biltong Keto Snack Mix
Posted on SEPTEMBER 23, 2021
Looking for a low carb party mix or a sugar free savory keto trail mix? We've got you covered with a crave-worthy, savory and zesty snack mix recipe. If you're craving snacks, you'll be pleased to know this mix has only 3 net carbs and 17 grams of protein per serving, making it perfect for the keto diet.
This snack mix recipe is the perfect high protein and low carb remix to a party favorite loved by many. It's also gluten free. Mix up a bowl of this for your next get together, and watch it disappear!
Disclosure: This recipe is sponsored by our friends at Stryve! Their high quality beef biltong is the perfect addition to this zesty snack mix. Thank you for supporting brands that help us bring lots of fresh content to our website. :)
Feel free to skip to the recipe card if you're ready to get right into it. We do cover common questions, tips, and tricks in the body of this post to keep reading if you're wondering something. We have also included lots of step-by-step process shots as well.
- Stryve beef biltong - Never tried biltong before? Stryve makes the most delicious air dried beef that tells jerky to step aside! It's truly 0 net carbs per serving, 17 grams of protein (per 1 ounce of the stuff) and 0 grams of sugar. It's amazing flavor is of course slightly salty, meaty and a bit tangy with the spices it's made with. You're going to love adding this to your snack mix, to turn it into something delicious AND high in protein! Want to try some? Make sure to use our affiliate code Living15 at checkout for 15% off on their website.
- Pork rinds - This adds the bulk and crunch to this low carb keto snack mix. It also absorbs the seasoned butter mixture really well. We like to break the pork rinds into bite sized pieces so they mix well with the other ingredients.
- Cheese crisps - Use your favorite brand here, for the perfect amount of added crunch, flavor and salt.
- Mixed nuts - You can use whatever you like here! We used a mixture of peanuts, macadamia nuts, cashews, Brazil nuts and pecans. Just be aware that our nutrition information uses a mixture of the nuts listed above, so that's how we calculated the macros.
- Unsalted butter - Melted butter is the base of the seasoning "sauce".
- Worcestershire sauce - This is essential! Most brands are gluten free, but you should always read the ingredients list to be sure. There is also a small amount of sugar in this ingredient, but since there are so many servings, it really won't add much of an impact.
- Seasoning mix - In addition to plenty of salt and pepper, we use a mixture of onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper for our seasoning. Some people like hot sauce, and seasoned salt as well.
How to Make Keto Snack Mix:
- Break pork rinds into bite sized pieces, and cut nuts in pieces as well. Preheat the oven to 250°F, and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine pork rinds, nuts and cheese crisps. Toss to combine.
- In a sauce pan, combine the butter, Worcestershire sauce, and your desired seasonings to taste over medium low heat. Whisk constantly until combined.
- Pour the seasoned butter over top of the pork rinds and nuts mixture, and toss to combine. Add the seasoned butter slowly, to ensure even coating.
- Once the mixture is well coated, transfer to the baking sheets in a single layer. Place in the oven, and bake for about 1 hour, checking every 20 minutes or so to move the pieces around so they get nice and crispy and browned.
- Carefully cut your biltong slab into thin strips, then cut into bite sized pieces. Add the biltong pieces to the snack mixture and toss to combine.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before enjoying or storing.
- Eat within 3 days of preparing, unless you plan to add the biltong in batches when it's time to eat. The snack mix without the biltong will last about 1 week in an airtight container.
Tips For The Best Snack Mix:
- If you plan to eat the snack mix throughout the week, you can always add bits of beef biltong right before eating. Once opened, the biltong is best consumed within 3 days.
- The snack mix without the biltong will be good for 7 days in an airtight container.
- It's really important to let your snack mix cool completely before storing it or eating it. This will allow everything to get nice and crispy. Otherwise, the mix will end up soggy.
- Season according to your tastes! Some people like to add hot sauce to their snack mix. Our seasoning mix is mostly just savory and umami, with a little kick of spice and tanginess.
What is Beef Biltong?
Biltong is a meat preserving process that originated in South Africa many years ago. Beef biltong is always seasoned and cured with vinegar, salt and is air dried. Air drying really locks in the flavors really well.
About Stryve Biltong:
Stryve Biltong is made with no sugar, gluten, nitrates or preservatives. It's all natural and full of flavor. Stryve's beef biltong has between 16-17 grams of protein per 1 ounce serving. Try stacking that up to jerky, jerky doesn't stand a chance!
Stryve's beef is premium quality and is sourced from local farmers. Everything is sourced and produced in the US. Stryve also makes a ton of prepackaged/pre-cut and ready to eat slices and biltong sticks. They come in delicious flavors like spicy peri peri, zesty garlic, cilantro lime, hatch green chile and so much more! You can get 15% off your order on Stryve's website using our affiliate code Living15 at checkout!
How to Cut and Use Biltong:
We used the biltong charcuterie slab for our snack mix, and there are a few tips to working with it.
- When cutting the charcuterie slab, always use a VERY sharp knife and a secured cutting board.
- Turn the biltong slab up on its side, and cut in thin strips for the best (and most tender) results.
- Biltong is best eaten within 3 days for optimal freshness. Store it in a paper bag in a cool dry area if you have leftovers you plan to use within a couple of days.
More Keto Recipes to Try:
Need more ideas? Be sure to check out this massive list of over 85+ low carb and keto friendly recipes on our site!
Shop This Recipe:
Want to get supplies for this recipe or shop our keto kitchen or pantry? We've linked our favorites above and right here in our Amazon Store!
A Full Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associate program, an affiliate advertising program designed to promote a means for sites to earn advertising fees by linking products to amazon.com. We only share products we use and love. It doesn't cost you anything extra to shop using our links, but we earn a small commission that helps us keep this site going!
If you get a chance to try this recipe, let us know what you think, would ya?! Leave us a comment, or catch up with us on Facebook or Instagram, or pin to your favorite Pinterest board for later. We love sharing your versions of our creations over on Instagram @afullliving!
If you could please leave a comment and/or a rating if you loved this recipe, we would be forever grateful! (Ratings helps users find our recipes, since users say that they like them!)
Thanks for stopping by! Be sure to subscribe to our email newsletter so you're the first to know about new recipes we post on our blog.
Until next time,
Briana & Chamere